NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT BRING ANY PETS TO THE VIEWING AREAS
1) Friday Night start of the UP200 February 14, 2014 Downtown start -7:00pm – Washington Street in front of the Mining Journal office.
2) The Welcome Center in Harvey is a great place to view the teams as they are heading for the woods. Food and drinks will be provided at no cost. Restrooms are available inside the Center. Join the race enthusiasts in Harvey as the teams make their way up the trail.
3) Prince of Peace Church in Harvey has great viewing also and will have a bonfire where you can stay warm. Inside the Church are bathrooms and there will be food, refreshments, and a bonfire starting at 6:30pm (open to the public).
4) Further down M-28 you can see the dog teams as they run by Lakenenland Sculpture Park. Hot chocolate and coffee on hand to warm you up.
5) Mushers can be viewed later in Chatham.
Chatham is located approx 14 miles from Hwy 41 then turn left on M-94
Rock River Road viewing site in Chatham
Slapneck Creek, approx. 2 miles from Chatham on M-94 East (Mushers run along north side of M-94))
6) Forest Lake Road – Autrain Basin Dam (Forest Lake) – mushers will cross M-94 just east of the dam.
Rapid River Truck Trail approx 1/4 mile off M-94 to road crossing
Buckhorn – When you see the big sign that says Buckhorn turn right.
Federal Forest Hwy 13, Wetmore – approx 3.2 miles to road crossing
7) Biff’s Surplus/RPM Mechanical, Wetmore – North side of Highway M-28 across from. The teams will cross the timing gate at Hiawatha Log Homes and will then be escorted across M-28 to Biff’s/RPM. This is an unassisted checkpoint and the public is not allowed in this area where the mushers and dogs are resting; viewing is allowed at the timing gate at Hiawatha Log Homes. The teams will take a mandatory five-hour layover here before leaving for Grand Marais.
February 15, 2014 Saturday Morning
Wetmore to Grand Marais starting around 4:00 – 6:00 a.m. – teams will leave from Biff’s/RPM Mechanical, Wetmore, on M-28
Hwy 58 Crossings – Saturday 4:00 a.m.- 7:00 a.m. Two possible ways to go:
8) From Shingleton: 9 miles southeast of Munising, turn left on Hwy 15 to get to Hwy 58, go to the Bear Trap Bar in Van Meer and turn right; look for trail marker signs of the sled dog race.
9) From Munising: At the Big C Realty sign, go straight through the flashing red light out past the paper mill on H-58. Continue past the Bear Trap Bar in Van Meer to Melstrand. Drive another 8 miles to Hwy 58 crossing.
Grand Marais Checkpoint Saturday February 15, 2014 8:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. Arrival
Click here to download the Grand Marais viewing map. Note that the numbers on the Grand Marais map are slightly different from the general map of viewing areas.
From Munising, take M-28 east to Seney and turn left on Hwy 77 North (approx. 34 miles.)
Hwy 77 North, go approx 25 miles to Grand Marais Checkpoint
1st viewing spot is located approx 22 miles from Hwy 77/M-28
SEE MAP BELOW FOR THESE CROSSINGS:
Crossing 11 – turn West on Lowder Rd; park at corner of Lowder & William Hill Road.
Crossing 10 – turn West on Newberg Rd; park at corner of Newberg & William Hill Road (Hwy 58)
Crossing 7 – turn West on Mixon Rd; park where road is blocked – incoming teams will be coming directly at you down Mixon Road.
Crossing 5 – Ridge Rd at the cemetery – the teams cross Ridge Rd at this point. Park on Ridge Rd.
Crossing 4 – Wilson St. at Alger Ave. – mushers come out of the woods and come down Alger Ave. Park on Wilson St.
Crossings 3 – Randolph St at Alger – park on Randolph. The mushers come down a steep hill and onto Alger St. (This is one of the best views when mushers are coming into Grand Marais.)
Grand Marais Checkpoint Gate at Headquarters on Brazel St – Parking is on the side streets, as Brazel and Alger Streets are closed for the race. Spectators can also park at the marina, which is on Lake Avenue past the Bayshore Gas Station. There is also parking on the main street. The checkpoint is one block west of the main street. Turn left just past the gas station.
Grand Marais Community Center Checkpoint will be open from 6:30 am until 9:00 p.m. Dogs will be at Checkpoint from mid-morning to late afternoon.
Note: A detailed Grand Marais map is located at the end of this document depicting the viewing areas listed above.
Saturday Night Wetmore – From Grand Marais, UP 200 teams will return to Wetmore. Our best estimate is teams will begin arriving back at Hiawatha Log Homes in Wetmore around 10-11 p.m. The public can view the teams and dogs on this return stop in Wetmore.
Sunday – February 15, 2015 Marquette Finish – UP 200 teams are expected to begin arriving at the lower harbor in Marquette late morning. The first teams could be in as early as 11:00am, but we expect they will be arriving all afternoon and into the evening. Be there when the Red Lantern (the last musher in) arrives to cheer him or her on!
Viewing Locations for the Midnight Run
NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT BRING ANY PETS TO THE VIEWING AREAS
Downtown Start For the Midnight Run
The first Midnight Run Team will leave the Downtown starting gate 30 minutes after the last UP 200 musher and team are gone, but not before 8:30pm.
The viewing locations for the Midnight Run are the same as the UP200 from Marquette to Chatham.
Chatham (Michigan State University Facility) for a mandatory 5-1/2 hour layover for the dogs & Mushers.
The Midnight Run mushers will return to Marquette along the same trail and finish in Marquette at the Lower Harbor Park. Estimates are that the first teams will arrive between 8am and 10am on Saturday..